24 June 2013

Monocots at Evolution 2013!

Given my tendency to stalk plants wherever I go, including conferences and college campuses, it should be no surprise that I took some time photographing the most interesting monocots (to me) here at Evolution 2013 in Snowbird, Utah. First up (right) are some lovely irises, which are likely ornamental but more petite than those I'm used to seeing in the southeast United States.
Next (left) is a (rather blurry) false Solomon's seal, featuring the characteristic spray of white flowers at the tip.
I'm not one to normally get excited about grasses and relatives, but sedges are really adorable and this small one (right) was in full bloom.
My personal favorite (left) is this lovely onion in full bloom. My old labmate, Erica Wheeler, would know the species, but I just like the magenta color.
Then finally, I have an enigma (right). These vegetative stalks stood over two feet tall, and not a single flower bud was visible. Obviously I'm not very good at western United States/Rocky Mountain flora.
Sadly, no Commelinaceae, but still plenty of monocots to keep me entertained.







No comments: