14 August 2012

Twilight Sparkle is my favorite My Little Pony

The following picture showed up in my Facebook feed this morning:


I joked that I would have to write a blog about why this pony, Twilight Sparkle, is my favorite. Turns out my friends actually want to read such a thing, so here we are.

As a highly educated, childless adult, you might wonder why I even care about children's cartoons currently in production. First, there's the whole "Princess" thing in my blog title. But there is also a precedent for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (MLP:FIM) being popular with a non-target audience (look here for research or here for a fan supported wiki). Short story: I don't feel the need for any more validation, and I've got a few moments to spare while my data processes.

So here we are! The following is a list of reasons why Twilight Sparkle is my favorite.

  1. Um, read the picture up above. Yeah, that.
  2. She's a unicorn.
  3. She's pink and purple.
  4. She knows magic.
  5. She reads a lot.
  6. She solves problems by using her knowledge and skills.
  7. She is sometimes socially inept and a bit dense, but her ability to introspectively analyze her thoughts and behaviors allows her to continue growing as a pony.
Yeah, I kind of identify with her.

No comments: